Thursday

Day Sixteen

Day starts with a full family outing upstream to collect more building materials. During our ascent up the river in the large canoe we encounter a massive downed log spanning the entire river. Initially, Otobo and his father attempt to cut a passage through with an ax--although for some reason their super-human abilities fail at this task and we are left with Plan B, which is to ram the log and slide over (the option I was secretly hoping for all along).

While collecting materials, the whole family fanned out in the woods and for the first time Joe and I were on a sufficiently distinguished path we felt safe enough to venture out far into the woods without a Huaorani chaperone. Apparently the feeling was not mutual as Joe and I noticed that the young Pescadero was semi-covertly shadowing us the whole time, apparently on orders from Otobo not to let the gringos get themselves lost or killed. Sending the Pescadero to follow us deep in the forest was not the best move as currently the boy is Suspect #1 in the OREO theft, which makes him vulnerable to an "accident" in the woods.

Strict rationing of food has become the law with Joe and I. We are terrified of running out of anything with taste as subsisting merely on rice or noodles the last couple of weeks would surely accelerate the crazy talk. Because of our almost fanatical food rationing, any disappearance of coveted foods (e.g. eggs, OREOS, Syrup) has resulted in directionless threats to those responsible, some of which would probably make Jeffrey Dahmer cringe.

Mental status takes another hit later in the day when I am sitting in the outhouse getting the business done when I noticed a group of biting ants swarming up the stool towards me. I frantically start using the book I had handy to swat at them. My defense proves futile and soon I am getting bit all over and running out of the outhouse with my pants around my ankles. Where can I find peace of mind?

No comments: