Monday

Day Nine

Slow morning as Joe and I waited around for Otobo and Omallave to arrive with some wood for the comedor. Foot is feeling better although I am still hesitant to walk around on it too much, lest the wound re-open.
Discussed with Joe his growing obsession with killing every pesky fly, gnat, ant, or whatever that comes near us. This combined with his recent decision to let his nails grow long has made me concerned where things are leading. Pineapples make him very happy however, and he recently made the claim ¨a pineapple a day keeps Mr. Hyde away.¨ Will keep an eye on his homicidal tendencies.
Later in the day, Otobo, Conan, Joe, I, and a boy we called El Pescadero (the fisherman, because he caught us dinner one night, then got the nickname, and then never caught anything for us again. He got lucky, as he should have remained El Boy) went upstream to catch some fish. Otobo was reeling them in left and right while Joe and I were without luck. Only once I set down my pole to look at a pirahna that Otobo caught, did I myself catch one. On way home from fishing we saw another 6 ft anaconda sunning on a log. Otobo pulls the canoe right up beside it putting Joe and I a foot away. Having seen too many movies, at this point I am about ready to jump out of the boat to get away from it. Luckily, the snake beat me to the water.

Later we cooked up the fish, which tasted pretty darn good with our staple rice meal. Also convinced Conan to slice and fry the yucca in the style of my beloved freedom fries. These combined with my supernatural ability to pretend I am eating something I am not made the meal one of the best yet.

No comments: