Friday

Singing in the Rain.....

After my morning excursion around Chinatown I was picked up by my long-time KC buddy Bill Stack, who is currently doing lobbying work in the Bay Area. He showed me around various parts of San Fran and we met up another KC friend, Rosemary Wiedemann, for drinks and to catch up. Later, Bill and I picked up Busch tall boys cans to relive the high school days and talk political shop.
Today, I ventured solo back into downtown SF to fulfill touristy obligations. Read in the legendary City Lights Bookshop, where the likes of Kerouac and other beat writers used to hold court; went through the California Academy of Sciences and briefly toured the Wells Fargo Museum, mainly to get out of the rain. This brings me to the point that once again my comfort has been a casualty of my attempt at minimalism. For like going gloveless in Colorado, I was umbrella-less in San Fran in the midst of a day-long rain shower. Like the budding transient that I am becoming, I wrapped my computer in a newspaper in my backpack to avoid it getting soaked. If things decline to the point where I am using newspapers to do others things such as to make a bed or go to the bathroom, please feel free to participate in the intervention.
For the moment I am killing time in a pigeon hole of a bar called Dave’s in downtown SF waiting for Luke to get off work. The major tool in this time-killing procedure is a new book I received today called “Three Cups of Tea,” which was courtesy of Bill Stack and so far is definitely a recommended read for those of you in the market for that sort of thing.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Brian,

I thought of you as I was driving to work yesterday. I saw a man walking down a street in the lovely Crossroads district, and he had a big backpack and sleeping bag on his bag. I though, 'oh, he's backpacking around like Brian!' and then immediately it hit me ... he's homeless (for real). Hope that's not you some day. Safe travels! I'll be joining you and Petro somewhere down the road.

Unknown said...

Ignore the multiple spelling errors in my above post. I can't believe I went to journalism school.

Anonymous said...

i haven't read anything yet, but it all looks intriguing. amy must have been drunk in those comment posts. i just wanted to say that you should go see the movie "there will be blood" before you take off.

Anonymous said...

Brian,

It was great seeing you (despite the horrible weather you brought and restricted access to Busch heavy in the Bay Area). I was happy to read that the book alleviated some lonesome times in the rain. I am definitely going to contribute to your fund but please know that carries requirements to arm right-wing guerilla organizations to offset groups that Dan Olson, Zach De la Rocha, et al, are trying to organize. I voted for your next stop to be Uruguay. I'll keep reading, stay safe, tell Pete hello, and most importantly have fun. Again, great seeing you.

Bill

ps - remember that wacky art teacher, Mr. McMullen? Perhaps you will run into him on your journey. I heard he relocated from a golf course in Scotland to a Brazilian favella. Happy travels.