Friday

Get a Pint For the Boy!

Last night, myself, Petro, and new roommate Irish Brian went out to a reception that was being held at the South American Explorers clubhouse, which is a membership based group (that we joined for cheap) that serves a great resource for backpackers throughout south america. The reception was billed as an "all you can drink," which means that it didn´t take much motivation to get ourselves there. Irish Brian, fresh off the plane, informed us prior to arriving to the party that he was going to drink our pathetic American asses under the table (I think we won b/c I have a vague recollection of Brian speaking gibberish at a bar at the end of the night). The party was great and was jam packed with like-minded foreigners who are in the midst of trips such as ours. Having a room full of interesting characters before me, I of course was drawn to the oldest people in the room. Meet my new Irish parents--Mary and Michael, a 60-ish couple from Dublin who were visit their traveling son in B.A. After a brief chat, I got to the point and told them that I am desperately seeking European Union citizenship, would they adopt me? And since having an American son carries the same prestige as having a dog that can do tricks, they agreed. They are expecting Petro and I to be setting up shop at their house sometime later this year. And so, between our new Irish roommate and my new Irish parents, our lives have became suddenly emersed in Irish culture--in South America. Trying to fulfill Irish cliches, we drank beer and Jamieson like it was the last night on earth. Between Mary´s work on her PhD in linguistics and Michael´s knowledge of American politics, the conversations were very entertaining. The sad irony of the night was the observed fact that Irish Brian (from Belfast) and my new parents were carrying on warmly, but as Mary told me later ¨his parents back home would probably croak if they knew he was chatting up Irish Catholics.¨ Trying to avoid a discourse on the Catholic/Protestant relations, I just thought it was worth mentioning the common denominator in the equation of that conflict as well as most conflicts going on around the world.

I got nothing else except una resaca,
Brian

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

that common denominator religion or Great Britain?

Brian Quarnstrom said...

not Great Britain. sorry for being vague but i fear retribution.

also Kopp please quit posting comments under nombres falso.

Andy said...

Can you please ban Kopp from publising posts on this blog. I want to punch my computer screen every time I see his messages. Watched the Billikens beat #23 Rhode Island at the Tin Can Saloon last night then proceeded to our new hangout, the Trophy Room to throw some darts and throw down with the locals. Nothing like $1.75 beers, plastic darts, and local drunks cursing up a storm.
Live strong!

Anonymous said...

I will find out if my duel citizenship allows gay marriage entitlement rights. If so, you would be an EU resident but would have to change your name to Brian Stack. Please begin focusing on the 20-28 year old female demographic at your next watering hole.

Cynthia said...

How interesting that Ireland will be a stop for you in your vagabond journey! What a beautiful country! Developed a taste for Guinness on tap when I was there. Nothing like it. Did I mention that the guitar I am working on has a Celtic theme???? Hmmm.
What IS that common denominator?

Jeff said...

So...yeah...that post really left me hanging at the end there. Oh well.

So how 'bout the Billikens -- the score 20 points one game, then go into overtime against a ranked team, then beat a ranked team all in the span of a week. All I can say is, look out Atlantic 10 come tourney time.

Everyday I become more and more jealous of your life, Brian - and more and more depressed with mine.


Jeff

Masters Research Paper said...

Many institutions limit access to their online information. Making this information available will be an asset to all.