Tuesday

My Old Self

For all those worried about my health (there were few), my GI espisode was brief and now I am back to my great self. Spent the last few days back at my home away from home in Mindo, Ecuador--the Lodge. The owners Tom and Mariela were so excited to see me that they bolted for the coast and left me to hold down the fort. Back to good eating and a steady dose of comtemplative idleness. At the moment, I am momentarily back in Quito killing time until Joe´s late night arrival from the states. Part of my meandering around the city brought me to the mall that housed a Radio Shack in the quest to find an inverter to fit the solar panels that we are bringing with us into the Amazon. With tremedous relief, I found something that will work, thus ensuring that my camera will be able to recharge and our invaluable ipods will play on to ease the hardships. This trip to the mall ended like my last three trips to a mall in South America--with a trip to the food court. The foresight of spending the next 2 months on a skimpy and bland diet in the Amazon was all the rationale my brain need to allow my body and wallet to take a tour of the food court extravagenza. The ordeal started with Pizza Hut, then to cheese fries, and finished with a Burger King cheeseburger. It was gluttonous and it was glorious. I am officially banning myself from future trips to the mall abroad. But a little slice of home never harmed anyone..

Picking up Joe, giving him the nickel tour of Quito and then were off to the lodge. The address is Mindo, Ecuador if anyone wants to visit in the next 10 days.

Looking for Taco Bell,
BQ

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My Favorite Son,

Dear gussy, all those fast food places are not good for you. It sounds like what you really need is a good dose of your favorite Mothers home cooking! I set your place every night with delicious hot food in hopes you are going to walk in the door and say "I'm home Mom" Maybe tomorrow will be the day!
I love you!
Mom

Anonymous said...

Too bad you didn't get in touch with the Andrade's...they would have given you a fabulous Ecuadorian meal. I found it sad to find the "American" restaurants at the mall in Quito. Have fun and be safe. Mary LeFebvre