Tuesday

The Great Escape




Realizing that Amy was in desperate need of some R & R from her semi-stressful life and myself needing a break from my hugely stressful life, she and I along with the humorous duo of Dor and Tristian headed to the more remote destination of Playa Blanca. Reachable by boat, the beach boasts the only white sand near Cartagena and counts less than a couple dozen inhabitants post 5 p.m. The regular more desireable boats were not running that day and so we were fortunate to snag space on something that possessed the potential for a scaled down version of the Titanic. The boat was packed with people and re-supply cargo for the neighboring islands. We were given life jackets on the condition that if the boat actually sank, we would have to give them back so they could save the boxes of mayonnaise packets. To my dismay, we made it to the beach without incident. Nothing is as boring as certainty.
Unlike many over-priced tropical destinations, we enjoyed our position as among the few of the overnighters there--$3 hammock sleeping, $4 seafood plates, $6 body massages, and all the rum your body can(t) handle. It was the closest to heaven I'll ever get. I left Amy there with the promise that I would return to re-supply her in a month.
Without electricity, our night there was spent playing cards and repeatedly laughing at Dor's misuse of verbs in his non-native english--"we make a party!" Nice try Borat.
So far Amy has proved proficient as a travel partner and I am doing my best to try and get her to quit her job to join the cause. My main tactic is trying to persuade her that we need to get into the import/export business. We have already established the name: What Fell Off the Back of the Truck. What do you think? Sounds like a winner to me.
Our main topic of time-kills besides our endless round of hypothetical questioning has been trying to regurgitate the names of our 95 grade school classmates--with more points for the most obscure individuals--I got 10 points for remembering Monica Fischebach. Where are you Monica?
For all her positive qualities as a travel partner, I think I have a found a weakness in Amy: water. She is a freaking camel, requiring somewhere around 5 liters a day. I tried to show her that an evolved man does not require such an enormous amount of water by only drinking a few sips a day. I do not feel very well right now.
Hopping on a 5 hour bus north tomorrow to try and reach the touted coast in Parque Tayrona.
Lastly, I would like to give bday shout-out to Amy's cuz, Tiffany Smith, who is an avid reader of the blog and soon to be president of Planetary Vagabond's fan club. Also, I grudginly give another bday shout out to another of Amy's cousins, Stephanie Smith, who does not read the blog (get with the program) . Happy Birthday girls.
Secretly drinking water,
Brian
CEO
What Fell Off the Back of the Truck

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

YESSSSS!!!!!! Best. Bday. Shout-out. Ever. -- Tiff, aka President (and sole member) of the PVFC

Anonymous said...

Brian- So which one did you share a hammock with, Dor or Tristian? As "fun" as the Amazon sounds, I like the prospects of this importer/exporter business.

Sincerely-

Art Vandelay

Anonymous said...

WOW! That sounds amazing. Brian, I think Amy and I should both quit our jobs and join you, although I wouldn't be very good at the grade school name game. Thank you for the update!

Anonymous said...

Dear Brian,

How dare you call me a non-blog-reader! Just because I have not openly professed my love/obsession for you like my cousin Tiffany, doesn't mean I don't read your blog. I hope you drown in the ocean. Or maybe Amy could suffocate you with a pillow during the night. Help me out here Amy!!

Anyway, thanks for the birthday wishes (I guess), and take care of Amy for me lest I hunt you down in the Amazon and kill you with a poison dart.

Love, Stephanie