Tuesday

Ode to Living in a Freezer

Shite, it is freezing here! Well, actually it is just around freezing outside but this old flat I am residing in is about as far from heat efficient as possible. Gas to heat the boiler is not the cheapest so I have been trying to see exactly how much cold I can tolerate in the apartment. At what point does your core body temperature recede? A wise person once told me the ills that can occur if your body temperature drops, although I have forgotten all...
Living life in a cold state is not fun but it has definitely routinized my life. After hitting the snooze alarm 8 times, I emerge from the cocoon I have built out of 3 duvets to stay warm.
Then I make a bee-line to the radiator in the TV room and turn it on so I can sit on it while I manage to push Frosted Flakes through chattering teeth. After pouring half of my coffee on my feet to defrost them, I shut down the radiator and head to work. After work when back at the apartment, I perform the "see your breath test" and if it is positive, then I treat myself to a de-winterized TV room. Later I remake the cocoon and enter it for the nights hibernation. Unfortunately, I cannot take a shower as a source of warming up beacause for some goofy reason the water comes out of the shower head just at room temperature but out of the bottom spicket hot. So it's a regression to thrice weekly baths for me, which actually is not a bad plight. This all would not have happened if I received a heating bill like you do in the States. Otherwise right now I would running that sucker on High until I received my first bill 2 or 3 weeks from now, at which time it would have too late to freeze myself. But here, you use a credit card slotted gas meter that allows you to easily pay and track your spending and usage.

I tried my best to insulate the windows but I am ready to revert to Franklin County meth-head tactics and just throw some blankets over my windows. Funny how just about this time last year I was b*tching in a blogpost about the trying to sleep in 95 degree weather in Buenos Aires. I miss the heat.

Burrrrrian.

8 comments:

Petro said...

Don't you feel a little disgusting sitting in your own filth whilst bathing? Does one actually leave the bath tub cleaner then before they arrived? Hey! I can appreciate you trying to make lemonade out of lemons... I'm just saying.

ps- any ideas why your picasa account won't allow me to view you web albums and just pulls up a blank page when I click on your pictures?

Erin Powell said...

Petro - Layoff. At least he updates his blog.

Brian Quarnstrom said...

Petro,
I can recall not too long ago watching a certain person lie down in the filthiest bus station waiting area I have ever seen (Zapala, Argentina)--a little bathtub scum never hurt anyone.

The only thing I can think of about the pics is that you are clicking on the slideshow and not the link provided above it. Let me know. And please update your blog.
BQ

Petro said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Petro said...

Ok geez I'm sorry about the bath tub comments, won't happen again. We all know I'm no stranger to gettin down and dirty. I just didn't want you coming home taking baths all the time just think what the guys would say...

Petro: Hello Janey is Brian Home

Janey: Well he most certainly is my favorite boy Peter but I'm afraid I just drew him a bubble bath and he will be busy for some time

Petro: Ok Janey no problem I'll catch up with him later you have a great day now

Janey: You too my son

Scene 2: Petro walks into a bar to a thunderous roar of cheers and applause

Bar crowd: Petro, Petro, Petro....

Petro: Alright dudes calm down I know I'm rad, but unfortunately I have to be the bearer of bad news. My right hand man BQ couldn't make it tonight because he was taking a bubble bath

Record scratches bar crowd goes to silence with dumbfounded looks upon there faces

End Scene

So you see BQ I had your back this entire time I just never wanted to have this type of scene play out.
All my love,
Petro

ps- I have tried every which way to access your photos to no avail and look for a bog update real soon most likey in script form

Anonymous said...

a how to: heat efficiency

1. decide which "parts" of the room you want the warmest and include the radiators in those parts

2. then hang from the ceiling blankets/sheets so that it cuts off the part of the room you want and your heater (e.g. sheets around your radiator and bed that block off the rest of your room)

3. block off all unused spaces (e.g. doorways, hallways, kitchen, etc.)

4. put saran wrap on window and use hot blowdryer, repeat twice, then put a blanket over the window

5. drink two cups of hot beverages before bed and upon waking; in adddition to doing 25 jumping jacks

6. wear double socks and a hat, the heat comes out both ends

7. dutch-over yourself during the night.

Anonymous said...

Your cold apartment story reminds me of winter in the duplex.....

"If we keep the heat off, we can buy more whiskey which will keep us warm" - BQ

At least we were all on the same page.

Enzminger said...

BQ,

I'm not a fan of these once a week blogs. I find it hard to believe you are too busy to update. Please rethink your strategy.

One love.

Enzminger