Sunday

County Fermanagh



Feeling the need to get somewhere unfamiliar Saturday morning I managed to line up a ride on Gumtree (UK's version of Craigslist.com)from Belfast to County Fermanagh (A region known for its lakes about 2 hours away from Bfast). I had corresponded with the driver only with a few emails so when he picked me up and I said hello, he responded with a resounding "you're a f**ken Yank! I was hoping that it was a celebratory statement. It turned out that it was more of an exclamation of coincidence as the man's wife, who was riding in the back with their two kids was American as well. Richard and Megan were a younger couple that had just moved back to Ireland after spending 4 years living in the "ghettos of Boston." They were an entertaining ride out with their stories of Richard's time in the States, which admitted he spent mostly drunk and Megan's adjustment to life in Northern Ireland. They seemed to be struggling a bit as she could not work yet due to her residency status in limbo and he indicated that he hasn't been able to work since they returned months ago, which made me feel a bit guilty with my situation of employment.

They dropped me off in the center of the town of Enniskillen. I spent part of the day walking around the Enniskillen castle, Lough Erne, and a brief tour around the Clinton Center for Peace, which is located on the site of the 1987 Remembrance Day bomb by the IRA. Love him or hate him back home, Slick Willie is thought of highly by most on the Emerald Island due to his extensive involvement in the peace process here. Evidence of his notoriety was strengthened when the family where I was Couchsurfing, told me their 2 hens and 1 rooster they had were named Hillary, Monica, and Bill. In a twist of fate, Bill and Monica were mauled by a neighborhood dog, leaving only Hillary, which I am sure some could see some symbolism in.


Through Couchsurfing, I had lined up a stay with the Whaley's. An extremely charming and fun family. Karen and David had spent much of their youth travelling and wanted to help out other travelers as well as introduce their children to the cultures of others that may be passing through. After pre-dinner pints and soccer watching with David and oldest kid Joe at the nearby pub, we had a delicious feast of middle eastern food shared with some of their friends. The morning brought a few layers of snow and we took the two youngest on a trek to the nearby castle grounds for a sledding expedition. Although only a brief visit, I hope to see them again by bringing over visiting friends to experience life with such a interesting family. The youngest Grace even colored the sign that I used to hitch-hike from Enniskillen back to Belfast.
Something about polka dot lettering on a sign made me a bit nervous, but it must've worked as I was picked up on the edge of town within minutes by a older couple, Mary and Brendan, who graciously produced me back home. It was about as much fun in 24 hours that one could have.

Not sure what this week will bring, but you will hear about it.
BQ

No comments: