Monday

County Kerry


Last weekend I was able to accept an invitation by my friend Niamh's family to spend a days with them on their vacation in Killarney, County Kerry. So effectively, I had to travel from the northeast part of the island to the southwest corner. It was quick weekend trip for me but I still was able to cram some amazing hikes around the countryside. Normally during peak tourism season, the Ring of Kerry area is log-jammed with people and coach tours but the place was pretty tame when we were there. It was also a big treat to be in the place with an Irish family who had been holidaying there for the last 30 years and knew the history of just about everything. The Grogan's are good craic (fun), and it was one of the best expeditions of the Ireland trip so far.

Without stealing to many Ireland travel description cliches, I just want to say the area is quite amazing. Rock roads lines with moss encased walls seperating vast stretches of green bog land. If there ever was such a thing as a majestic view (did I really just use majestic?), that was it.

On the train ride from Mallow to Dublin on Sunday night, I found myself riding in one of the more state of the art trains I have been on during this trip. Gleaned from my online reservation, my full name was displayed on a screen above my seat. At first I was a bit shocked at the public display of private information but then was delighted by the endless possibilities of mischievousness. Instantly I wished I entered something way more hilarious into my reservation name. You know, like Brad Quarnstrom!



On a good note, the weather has become a bit warmer laterly. Down to 2 duvets at night. Was in my favorite shop yesterday and that monster tin of nacho cheese is still eyeball'n me. Have resolved to buy the sucker if its still there next time I go in.

Yours,
Brian

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh I'm so glad you went there. It's one of the most beautiful places. You should know by now what "Cead Mile Failte" means!