Tuesday

A Hundredaire in the Land of Millionaires

Things are still gravy over here in Dubai. Janey's last couple days here were spent trying to enjoy the beach and giving her some assurances that I will not take any unnecessary risks in this next leg of the trip, which may be the longest yet. These fell short with her with her knowledge of my quest to get an Iranian visa. She did me a solid by coming over and helping me out with the kids, proving once again that she is the best mother you could ask for. Love ya Janey!
With Janey gone as of last Friday, I held down the fort until Rich and Jen arrived back from Italy on Saturday night. I have gotten the whole childcare thing down pat--I just write reminders all over my hands to get me through the day-"take kids to school," "pick up at 12," "naps at 3pm," "locking children in the closet is no longer an acceptable disciplinary practice," etc, etc. Probably my best talent as a Manny is the long-winded bedtime stories that are occasionally required. With the memory capability of a pasta strainer, I usually have to think hard to pull up a story suitable for children under 9. Quickly running out of appropriate material, I started telling G-rated adaptations of movie story lines that are fresh in my head. I was halfway through the Caddyshack story, when Emma the 8 year-old called me on the ruse and said that my story sounded exactly a movie she has seen. I sure hope that she was referring to similar storyline of The Legend of Bagger Vance with Will Smith.....
As usual, once being in a spot for a lengthy amount of time, I start to get the itch to press on. Just bought a ticket for Cairo for this Sunday. Got any travel advice for the region? Friends there I should know about? Loving words? Shoot me them.
Have the rest of the week to soak in the last of Dubai and hang with Rich and Jen. Will give you the last scoop before I depart.

Yours,
BQ

4 comments:

Unknown said...

yo bernino...thinking about you and wondering where to next are we still meeting in Thailand...Momma S
PS glad to see the birthday pic post!

Anonymous said...

Hey! BAck in the states and finally caught up on the blog. Sounds great! I know people in Turkey and Yemen, not Egypt...haha go figure! Can't believe you're in frickin Dubai..only you.
Lots to tell..thinking of moving to Milan

Anonymous said...

Brian,
Where will you be after christmas? I have that whole week off, and thinking of doing some traveling. Email me winks_17@hotmail.com.
Beth (jen's friend)

Unknown said...

http://www.thestate.com/world-wire/story/565391.html

I know you're not studying womens rights, but its something to think about before you go parusing through the back alleys of iran