Saturday

5 Weeks in a Nutshell

There were two objectives for my 5 week jaunt back to the States: 1. To get some quality family time. 2. To watch three of my friends ceremoniously and publicy hand over all future decision making abilities to another person. In all honestly, looking back on any given past encounter with all of them, none of these fellas should be making decisions for themselves anyways. Plus, all of their betters halves are exactly that. These weddings took me first to Chicago, back to Kansas City and finally Raleigh, North Carolina. All were fun and storied affairs and provided good excuses to act like we were in college again.


(on a hunt a bit different than in the Amazon)

Also, I was able to sneak a quick trip down to my favorite place on this planet--the Lake of the Ozarks for some wakeboarding with good ol' Petro. The weekend was made memorable by impromptu "suprise parties" for both Petro and I by our parents. The first at my favorite eatery en route to the lake (The Wheel) and the other at the bowling alley by the Lake. Complete with paper hats and cake. Yes, I have regressed significantly in maturity.



Amazingly enough between all these wedding and birthday cakes, I did manage to get myself some semi-responsible employment. A big thanks to Kim White, who hooked me up with a sweet gig being a warm body to answer the one odd question per day as the software help desk at Childrens Mercy South. This allowed me to get caught up on the blog and lose money in a weak attempt to day trade the stock market crash. If AIG doesn't rebound, my trip will be over in two weeks.


Another thanks to my Aunt Nan Bone and St. Teresa's Academy for allowing me to come and substitute teach World Geography for one week. The "just quit school and travel" brainwashing propaganda was so slyly interwoven to the lesson plan that I don't think any parents will complain. While teaching the girls about South America and life in the jungle I discovered the art of what I like to call "Wiki-teaching." Although I consider myself to know decent amount of teachable info about S.A., you would be amazed at what a 15 minute perusal of various subjects related to South America on Wikidpedia would do to enhance your teaching creds. With this in mind, I would feel completely comfortable teaching say, Physics, even though I can hardly multiply and divide.


Lastly, a big thanks to my sis and her husband Powell for hiring the only handy man in town that likes to eat every meal at the house he is working at. Also, thanks for paying the 5 days of Workman's Comp I earned when I stubbed my toe. You guys are the greatest!


I also would like to give a shout out to my Godmother Barb Flynn for being such a wonderful supporter of the Planetary Vagabond cause.


For those of you looking to give yourself a warm fuzzy feeling, travel bonds are for sale on the "Donate" link, which is now located on the right side of the blog. Just in case Warren Buffet or just a sympathetic soul stumbles upon the site. Neither likely.

Alright, onto new things and new wanderings. Departed KC for Dubai on October 4th and plan on getting you up to speed on this bit real soon. I promise.


You are loved,


BQ


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You left out some important details about your trip to Raleigh.....I want some first-hand accounts documented!