Wednesday

America's Day in Dublin


Finally, 2 years worth of seeminly endless big talk and promises by both political parties has at last ceased, leaving only room for the impossible walk of one man. Can this man shoulder the weight? I don't know, but the kids of Balbriggan Elementary School sure think so.
Inauguration Day was spent with three different classes of 7 to 8 year-olds, explaining the trials and tribulations of being an American, focusing mostly on hamburgers and Obama. I mean, these kids could not hear enough of the man. They were more fanatical than the Japanese over Michael Jackson. I came to the school to instill a little curiousity about the U.S in the kids and instead left feeling like I had just attended a pep rally given by the kids for America. I guess from a PR standpoint, this bodes well for America, although I was bit disturbed about current perceptions coming from young minds abroad. When I asked the classes what did they think about when they thought of America, I swear my first 2 responses were "cash" and "limos," followed not long later by a "Guantanamo Bay." I gave a glance like to the teacher like What are you teaching these kids?and informed them that Gitmo was closing and we were sending all the prisoners to Ireland. After the teacher excused the 3 kids that wet their pants, we went on to talk more about the relationship between Ireland and America (there are 44 Million Irish-Americans and only 4 Million people in the Irish Republic itself). We also discussed the differences in English language usage and spelling, which resulted in an in-class argument between myself and teacher friend Niamh about which is the universally correct spelling of words like color (colour). I obviously won when I told the kids they couldn't come to America to get their cash and limos until they started dropping their "U"s.
The kids themselves were amazingly bright and inquisitive. Due to a recent immigration influx to Ireland, more than half the class hailed from Eastern Europe and Africa yet they were all learning to speak Irish (Gaelic) and all seemed to be assimilating well to their new life in Ireland. Although, after the rousing speach about America, I should probably notify US Immigration about a surge coming our way in about 10 years of so.



After my work at school was done, I put on a little America party at my friend's house just to drive home the point about how life in the U.S. is tops. After forcing down homemade hamburgers, chicken wings, and Budweiser on the very suspecting guests, I think it was apparent to all that life in America is the best. At least that's what I think and that's all that matters anyways.

Just moved up to Belfast yesterday and I think I am going to like it. More on that later.

BQ

3 comments:

Petro said...

BQ,
Seems to be a lot of black kids in the class...you sure you aren't hiding out in St. Louis?

Anonymous said...

BQ,

St. Louis, makes sense. They have a huge St. Patties day parade.

kc said...

Brian
sounds fun....not as much fun as I'm having with our grandmother and her friend Mandy in Hilton Head. We just got back from a brief sojourn to Savannah (very old school and beautiful) and have just returned from dinner at Mandy's club. I was the youngest person by about 3 decades. I had a few drive byes from a few of the patrons who wanted to check me out. One couple literally stopped and was staring at me. Your grandmother says to tell you she "loves you." She is up to date on what you're doing and is glad you are okay (as am I).