Tuesday

Crunch Time


The looming clouds of destitution have started to creep up on the sunshine that usually glows over my life. An almost year long outward flow of funds has created a situation forcing me to "get serious," at least temporarily and settle somewhere soon to help staunch the hemorrhaging finances. This revelation came to me when I realized that the only thing that seperates me from a homeless man is a passport. And I hear that even homeless men in Europe have passports so effectively there is no difference.
Now, I know there will be scant crocodile tears for my terrible misfortune, as a lot of people are feeling the squeeze, especially during this time of crisis in the U.S. A crisis I feel personally responsible for because I spent my "economic stimulus package" in foriegn markets. You can do as I like to do and contemplate the fact that as one of the most credit reliant countries in the world you would think that the mechanics of credit and lending would be a mandatory course in U.S. school curriculum. In place of courses on say, Trigonometry that we use so much? Personally, between preposterous abstinence-only sex education and the absence of a core class on lending finance, the conspiracy theorist in me smells something fishy between the baby formula selling and credit card companies and our dear Uncle Sam.....
Ok, back to the situation on hand. As much as I would like to shut-down this little experiment on the psychological effects of endless wandering on the sensitive soul, it must go on. At least for your sake. And so, I have decided to plant some roots, albeit very shallow ones, in Mother Ireland. Right after the tour with Beth through Turkey I am making the cross European jump to the greener and more inebriated pastures of Ireland. I will be meeting up with the Irish friends June, Niamh, & Niamh that Petro and I met in S.A. and I have been assured possible employment in Belfast or Dublin (nothing is set in stone so all ludicrous suggestions/opportunities are welcomed**keep in mind my working legal status may be a bit gray. Well, actually black). In my travels I have gathered that the two most universally in-demand jobs are grave digger and satellite dish installer, neither of which I currently aspire to. If all goes well I will be slinging pints and heavily accented profanity there for about 2 months before dusting off the pack and hitting the road again. South East Asia is on the spring radar, so put it on yours.
Well, the last week or so has been pretty stimulating. I more or less have been making the Peace Corp loop around Bulgaria and been hanging with some very fun and interesting characters. Overall, these volunteers are the face of a conscientious and intelligent America abroad and I hope the new govenment makes good a promise to increase funding for the organization. A big role call of thanks for letting me crash into their lives and couches:
Gergana, Tsveti, & Zach in Sofia
Martha in Silistra
Pete in General Toshevo
Theresa in Devnia
& James in Goliamo Gradishte (who let me make a guest appearance in his classroom so that I could lecture on the joys of sign languaging your way through life).
"now, the universal signal for 'eat shit' is...."

I am currently staying in the picturesque town of Veliko Tarnovo in a guest house run by a charming British couple who remind me alot of my Ecuadorian parents Tom and Mariela. Would love to stay and ring in Xmas with them but I want to dip into Romania for at least a week before high-tailing it back to Istanbul to meet up with Beth.
There has been a bit of noise on the Comments sections for a replay of the 2008 Numbers, so lets see if that can be addressed in a forthcoming post.
Your Tramp,
Brian

PS The long awaited resurgence of the Blog O' Petro has occurred. Check out the trials and tribulations of setting up shop in sunny San Diego, CA: www.whereispetro.blogspot.com

2 comments:

Jeff said...

Brian,

I was starting to get worried about you. Thank you for posting today, although it isn't even 8 and now that part of my day is already behind me.

I concur with the motion for a list of numbers. I think there should also be a money/bank account tracker. Maybe you can get some sympathy donations or christmas gifts out of it.

I'm sure you have heard that King Carl is no longer with the Chiefs, even though you are a Rams fan these days.

That's all I got,

Jeff

Anonymous said...

BQ- Another great day in the life. Listen I'm here in Sunny So. FL with the Schlack Miser, it ain't pretty. He nearly lost it when reading your blog today. "Will he be ok?", "What if someones tries to take him?", "How will he eat?" seriously the man's man crush has gotten ridiculous. Let him know you'll be just fine and that all of this will end up for the better. My mom had to take the credit card from him so that he wouldn't max it out trying to get you taken care of. Stay strong and keep making the most of this journey.