Wednesday

Christmas in Transylvania

Took a painfully slow train from Veliko Tarnovo across the border into Romania. Luckily the only other passengers in the whole train carriage were Americans--mid-westerners at that. So the ride was spent in good company and I was fortunate to have fellow Couchsurfer picking me up that the station in the capital city Bucharest when I arrived. Spent the next two days crashing a couch and touring Bucharest. A definite highlight of the city was a late night out in downtown Bucharest in a situation that has become so familiar in my Balkan tour--a genre confused young generation dancing as enthusiastly to death metal as they do to music from the Little Mermaid. Ever see a long-haired metal head go from thrashing to forming a conga line around the bar? It happened, I saw it and loved it--it was about the 300th time I wished I had a videocamera on me at all times on this trip. Their lack of pretentions when it comes to musical enjoyment was appealing although I suspect their openness to all music comes not from eclectic tastes but rather a taste for anyone who will do a concert tour through Romania.

I soon found myself departing Bucharest on the 23rd for the Transylvanian town of Sibiu. No, this is not a Dracula-mania inspired tour, rather I heard the area is supposed to be beautiful, more so in wintertime. The bus ride there was pretty scenic, especially with the recent dusting of snow. I arrived to find the hostels vacant but the center city packed with ice-skating youths and strolling familys. It would have been a bit of a depressing place to ride out Christmas so I decided to skip town the next day and head to the city of Brasov. Just arrived via train and found a hostel with some other travelers and a bit of Christmas cheer.
Being away from home from during the holidays has not been ideal, especially when I know the fun I am missing with friends and family, which is only compounded when I get drunken emails from buddies like Robby Arthur telling me of the all great gatherings going on. Oh well, how can your ever know the sweetness of something unless you go without it?

And so, a very Merry Christmas to all and a safe holiday season--especially my boy Dave Tiehen in Iraq!

Woooaahhhh!
Count Quarnstrom

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas Quarnstrom! If it makes you feel any better Hindawg and I are at the office today and my new bride has to work today and tom- bah humbug! Keep on keepin on and just remember when life hands you lemons, find some vodka and tonic...

Susana said...

Feliz Navidad! Agree, being away from home sucks during the holidays...but they all start to blend together anyway. You'll never forget where you were for Xmas 2008, tho. Safe travels!

Enzminger said...

Drunken emails? I take exception to that sir. I was of complete sound mind when I fired off that email at 2:30am...I digress.

Vodka and soda Nick.

Feliz Navidad or Chanukah or Festivus, whatever it is they celebrate in your neck of the woods.

You're missed in KC

Anonymous said...

You can say that again, Enzminger!!!
Love you Brian!!
Mom