Monday

Budgets and Beachtime

As the topic of how financially you can swing a trip like this is often brought up by inquiring souls, usually with the expression "you must be rich." Well, for those in the know, that obviously is not the case, and depending on whether or not I have the care-all, I usually explain that independent backpack touring can be done in many parts of the world for somewhere around $25 a day--everything included. For explanatory purposes I will give you an example of my average spending while in Egypt.


$4 a night--Usually a basic room with fan and a shared bathroom

$1--breakfast of coffee and rolls

$2--lunch of sharwma or falafel

$1.75--Snorkel gear rental

$3--taxi fares

$1--Sheesha (popular flavored tabacco waterpipe)

$2--baksheesh (tips)

$5--seafood pizza for dinner

$3--a couple beers

$2--internet time so I can check in with you

And whatever is left over in the budget is used to try and pay people to talk to me. So, as you can see it is quite easy to stretch the old greenback quite a few ways. If by chance I felt like I have gone over a daily budget by a large amount, I usually try skip expenses I have deemed not vital the following day. Like shelter. Always having an eye for a good nook and cranny, I was able to sleep at a hotel the other night. Although it actually was on the roof of it and the staff wasnt aware I was there. In the morning, while waking, I was thinking of how it would be interesting if I could get away with this hotel camping for a month or so, when I noticed one of the staff curiously examining my sleeping bag & throw pillow setup. I scurried off without having to give my planned excuse of "the girlfriend kicked me out of the room."

My arrival at the small town of Nuweiba has been pleasant on the old budget--which is sure not to last as Egypt is the cheapest country of the middle-eastern tour. Through the advice of a resident Couchsurfer I acquired a reed hut on the beach for a whopping $2.75 a night. My "living room' is about 5 ft. from the water. Although, I do have to share this grand paradise with the 10 other people that are staying along the 2 mile beach front.

Finally, after 4 days I got myself to leave with the promise that someday I will return to this place. Inshallah.

Bought a ticket for the ferry this afternoon to Jordan. In Petra by tomorrow.




Peace out,

Crusoe

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You sound like a MasterCard commercial :)
what a priceless experience. Keep up the adventures!