Saturday

Eco-Friendly Living

Quite of life of contradictions I lead. Prior to my integration into life at the eco-lodge, the extent of my ecological thinking was ¨I hope these steaks came from cows injected with flavor enhancing hormones¨or ¨boy the lake sure looks polluted today--lets go wakeboarding.¨ The delicious but mostly vegetarian fare there has made me think a little about if life IS possible without red meat. Don´t worry all you carnivorous consumers, I haven´t gone native--in fact just the other day Petro and I succumbed to the pre-disposition to red meat all mid-western born children inherit and snuck a hamburger and hotdog at a neighboring establishment (we are currently in the process of trying to procure meat to splatter with the bottle of Gates Barbeque Sauce the Schloegels brought down--we are presently just drinking it).

Biologically speaking, we are advancing in our bird-watching and animal species indentification. Now instead of saying ¨hey look at that pretty bird¨ we say ¨hey look at the pretty bird with yellow feathers.¨ I must say the guests are pretty impressed with our abilities. There has also been some getting used to my eco-friendly environment--for instance, when a gross bug or insect is pesking around--my natural instinct would be to swat the bastard, but now, conscience of where I am, I have to gently relocate it and say things complimentary towards it. ¨Boy that cockroach sure has an intricate design on its back.
I wouldn´t call us professional naturalists just yet as the lodge´s corn crop (albeit very small) was decimated by a wandering neighbor´s cow, an act that went totally unnoticed by the caretakers (us). We are talented in other ways.......
Things have kept interesting around the lodge. A string of entertaining guests including three Irish girls that we befriended many countries ago that came to visit and corrupt us with the moonshine they smuggled into the lodge.
For awhile, we were living Swiss-Family Robinson style in the main lodge with counter-weighted retracting ladders and open-air showers. There is talk of ¨family¨expedition tomorrow involving the owners and us climbing the adjacent mountaintop that supposedly is inhabited by monkeys and spectacled bears. Two to one we get lost.

Why say no when it feels so good to say yes,

BQ

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brian, jen bren just gave me your blog and i love it! my brother is living in guayaquil and i recently visited him. Consider going to Banos (3hr taxi/bus south of Quito with avacado ice cream on the way) and then maybe hit Puyo. They have amazon tours there (1-7 day stays). We almost stayed at mindo.
~Winks

Anonymous said...

BQ - this blog is losing some of it's allure. have you considered getting a tattoo of some of the local wildlife? may be just what you need to inject some excitement into this blog. -hound